Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Restaurant Review: Kissako Green Tea Cafe


Anyone who knows me knows that I love Japanese food. It has always been the case, that of all the worldly foods, Japanese has always made me feel the best about my dietary choices. I have only been discouraged a few times (namely with greasy tempura and other deep fried dishes), but I know to avoid those "fast-food type" dishes in the future.

Now everyone knows Futaba right? As it turns out, the original owner recently decided to sell this innovative restaurant (actually to the owners of Shiki Sushi) and open up something more low key and green tea focused. Also, as it turns out, my acupuncturist is the daughter of the man who owns Kissako. So after some talk of great restaurants in Victoria, she encouraged me to try Kissako out. And so I did. Well, we did.

There is nothing more sublime than hobbling out of a small car, after acupuncture and after having downed several pain killers, to work my way into a restaurant that I am quite sure I will love. To me this is the perfect, most ideal and fulfilling pilgrimage. This is worship and this experience has happened to me only a couple of times before: Sobo in Tofino and Diadoco in Victoria. To be honest, generally when I try a new restaurant my heart is not set on yummy fulfillment, that is unless of course I know in my gut that I am about to taste God. It would be great if all restaurants were tasty and affordable, but obviously that is not always the case. Anyway, Kissako is worth every penny you spend. So put your money where your mouth is.

I am a sucker for homemade udon noodles and guess what??? Kissako's udon miso soup ($6.50) is made with fresh homemade noodles and fantastic miso broth. Wow! I think this soup is the best deal in town, all steamy and healthy with (mostly) organic seaweed, diakon, cabbage, tofu, mushrooms and natto. In fact, this soup alone is worth the trip. If ever you are feeling run-down, uninspired or fantastic, go and get yourself some of this goodness. It has the potential to heal you and fill up your empty tummy. The serving is generous too, which is also very important in my world.

Also while you are there, please try the affordable (key word) burdock root and carrot salad ($3 something) and brown rice sushi rolls ($3.75). We chose a salmon roll, a shittake avocado roll and an unagi roll (this one is $4.75 or something like that). It was all very, very, VERY good.

Other featured items and ones that I will surely try the next time I go here:

Quiche made with brown rice, tofu and vegetables ($4.25)
Chicken salad (I don't remember the price, but it's reasonable)
Apricot seed custard with fruit ($4.25)
Green tea ice cream cone ($3.25)
Green tea roll ($4.25)
Matcha latte ($3.65)

Yum. You can get everything "to go" too and it is packaged in reusable containers (mostly). Don't forget to recycle what you don't keep.

Go right now!

PS: The menu is vegetarian and vegan friendly too... wowhoo!

Kissako Green Tea Café

2027 Oak Bay Avenue
Victoria, B.C.
Phone: (250) 370-5195
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday (10:30am-7:00pm) & Saturday (11:30am-7:00pm)

No comments: